Sunday, July 6, 2014

Blogger Tips and TricksLatest Tips And TricksBlogger Tricks

Widgets

+ curried string bean rice vermicelli +

I have a confession to make. We've kind of been ignoring the garden. I'm so sad, because I really love working there, but the fact that I've to work overtime lately is not helping. I really hope the veggies we planted survive until we have time to check on them. We even missed planting cucumbers and squash this season. Such a bummer. Last year we had our very own organic string beans that even the ants loved, by the way! I left them be, they did not do much damage anyway. This year, though, I had to resort to store-bought beans.The one time I saw fresh ones on the shelves was this week, so I had to get my hands on them. And I made this:  


I know, I know. That's not cilantro and lime on my curry. I have an excuse! You just CANNOT get cilantro anywhere in my town. I grew my own, but it is in the garden, so I haven't had a chance to cut off a bunch. I also ran out of lime, but these lemons I have are so fresh - they were just as good. Oh well, all I needed was a little tang. Before I get to the recipe part, let me show you what I saw when I looked out the window this morning: 


Isn't it pretty? It made me so happy :) It was about time we brought back the chairs from the garage so that we can sit out on the balcony to admire these beauties. Perfect atmosphere to enjoy my morning smoothie tomorrow. 
So, lately I've been wanderlusting big time. Maybe it is the increased workload or just that I have not been anywhere further than 200 kilometres for a while now. I so want to leave I've even been checking for jobs abroad, like teaching English in Thailand - yeah, it's that bad. I seriously don't know what's got into me. This spicy curry managed to take me somewhere exotic - even if only briefly. 

Ingredients: 

  • 2 yellow onions, very finely chopped
  • 3 green onions, tops only
  • 1 red chili pepper, finely chopped
  • 2 "coins" of fresh ginger, finely chopped
  • 6 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
  • a small piece of fresh turmeric root, finely chopped (or 1/2 tsp powder)
  • 1 tbps tamari
  • 1 tomato, chopped
  • 500 g string beans, ends cut off
  • 100 g crimini mushrooms, cut into bite-size pieces
  • 3 tbsp coconut cream
  • 1 tsp tikka curry powder
  • 1 tsp korma curry powder
  • 1 lemon, juiced
  • 200 g rice vermicelli 

Instructions: 

Add the onions, ginger, garlic, fresh turmeric, chili and tamari, into a big saucepan over low heat and cook them with the lid on until the onions become translucent and half-tender, stirring occasionally. At this point, add the tomato, stir and cover, until the tomato becomes mushy. Now, add the beans, mushrooms, and curry powders with a splash of water. Stir, and steam for 15-20 minutes, covered. In the meantime, prepare the rice vermicelli: pour boiling water on them, but strain 2-3 minutes sooner than the instructions say. When the veggies are properly cooked (left just a little crisp), add the coconut cream. Mix, until nicely incorporated. Add the noodles and stir well to cover them with the sauce. Put the lid back on for 2 more minutes. Turn off the heat and squeeze the juice from half a lemon (or lime) into the pan. Stir one last time and serve with parsley (or cilantro) and lemon wedges or slices.  


Adam managed to get a plateful, but I ate the rest myself in one sitting! (I did not have the full 200 grams of noodles though). It is SO GOOD. Gluten free, vegan, creamy goodness. Please please please try it! And let me know what you think!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

back to top