Sunday, May 4, 2014

Blogger Tips and TricksLatest Tips And TricksBlogger Tricks

Widgets

+ DIY knit t-shirt yarn coasters +

I've always had a hard time finishing things. Sometimes I'll start full throttle, then just lose interest for one reason or another. Usually the reason would be that I don't believe that the end result would be good enough. I think it all stems from the insecurities I had as a teenager. Having passed the halfway checkpoint between 20 and 30, I can bravely say that I've grown to let go of such fears. It took a lot of time for me to realize that without failure, there is no success. If you fear the outcome, you will never get to the finish and will fail without even trying. Even if it is the smallest project, do it with your whole heart and I promise that success will come your way! 


I didn't mean to write such a deep introduction for my poor little coasters, but - as you can probably tell - I really like to psychoanalyze. These pieces, I've started months ago. Then I abandoned them for weeks. This time, I just simply got distracted riding the creative wave I've been on for a while now. I have a neverending brainstorm inside my head these days, but thank goodness I returned to this project so I can share it with you all. It would have been a shame to put them away in a drawer for eternity, They'd also make pretty presents - even for Mother's Day! 


Last year I really got into knitting and I've managed to acquire the very basics quickly. My mom tried to teach me on 3 occasions, but I think my hands were too stiff and I did not know how to relax them while concentrating - if that makes any sense. This tutorial is very simple, and any beginner will be able to make these fun coasters. I linked the basics in video for you to check out. Wool and the Gang's tutorials are so easy to follow, they helped me tremendously when I started. 

You will need: 
  • t-shirt yarn / multiple colours ( they're recycled anyway so you could even make your own
  • 10 mm knitting needles
  • scissors
  • needle or crochet hook 
Techniques used:
Instructions (basics): 
  • cast on 10 stitches
  • knit 9 rows of knit stitch
  • cast off
I made 4 coasters altogether, each one is unique. I used 4 colors altogether. I tried to slip in 1-2 rows with a different color in all of them, or just simply changed colors midway to create a color block effect. 


When you're done casting off, cut your yarn, so you have about 5 centimeters left at each end, except for where you cast on. Leave 10-12 centimeters there. Like so: 

 
When you neatly tucked away the loose ends, form a loop out of the leftover long tail so that you can hang the coasters wherever you like. Tie the end to the part closest to the knit piece and form a knot. Weave in the remaining tail. Congrats! You're done! These are fun accessories for when you invite friends over. They're so handy when I can't resist drinking tea in the living room. I'm sure they will make our $20 coffee table last much longer.  I may have taken a while to finish them, but I like the way they turned out so much that I might even make more to give away! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!

back to top